A double boiler is an efficient and economical way to melt wax for candle making. Here's how to create one with items you may already have on hand.
- Fill a large saucepan about half full with water and place it on the stove to heat.
- Place your wax in a pouring pitcher, clean coffee can, or smaller saucepan.
- Put the smaller container in the larger saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until the wax is completely melted. Carefully add more water to the larger saucepan as needed to prevent the water from evaporating.
- Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the wax.
- When the wax is melted add color, if desired, and mix thoroughly.
- If you are adding fragrance, remove the wax from the heat and gently stir in the fragrance. Most wax should be heated to 185 degrees before adding fragrance, but always check your wax supplier for instructions on adding fragrance.
Remember to never leave the double boiler unattended, and once you use a pan for melting wax, it should not be used to prepare food.
Always have a fire extinguisher within easy reach and become familiar with how to use it.