Choosing the right wick size is an important part of candle making. Here are some guidelines to help you:
- First, decide on the type of wax you're going to use, as different waxes require different types of wick.
- Next, determine the diameter of the container. Interestingly, the height of the candle does not affect the wick size. If you are using a container that we carry, you can find the diameter of the container on the jar product page under the properties section. If you have a container with varying widths measure the widest and narrowest and use an average for the diameter.
- Our Wick Guide will give you a suggestion for a place to start your testing using the wax and the diameter of your container.
- Then, consider the amount of color and fragrance oil you will use. Dark, highly fragranced candles often need a larger wick.
- Finally, test burn your candles and take notes so you can make adjustments to wick size as needed. The wick series sample pack or the 12 pc bags of wick are a cost-effective way for you to try some different sized wicks to get the desired results.
< Return to CandleScience.com