IGI 6046 is a paraffin/coconut blend wax designed for container candles. We do not recommend it for pillars, votives, or wax melts. This wax comes in a soft block that is available in 25 lb or 50 lb options. You can easily cut off wax to melt using a knife or metal spatula as this wax is relatively soft and easy to work with.
When working with IGI 6046 we recommend using the following guidelines for best results.
- Wicks: The recommended wicks are the CD series. See the Wick Guide for a starting point
- Fragrance: Suggested usage is 6-10%. Be sure to not use more than 10% fragrance as it can cause safety issues
- Color: If you are using a dye you can add the color to the wax when you add the fragrance at 185°F
- Heat the wax to 185°F to add your fragrance
- Remove from heat and stir gently for 2 minutes
- Allow the wax to cool to 175°F and then pour into your containers
- Allow the candles to cool completely and then trim the wicks
- Place lids on the candles (if you are using them) and allow the candles to cure for 3-5 days before burning them in order to achieve the strongest hot throw
- You can conduct wick testing within 24 hours of making the candles
For more detailed information on working with this wax check out our Lab Notes!