IGI 6046 is a paraffin/coconut blend wax designed for container candles. We do not recommend it for pillars, votives, or wax melts. This wax comes in a soft block that is available in 25 lb or 50 lb options. You can easily cut off wax to melt using a knife or metal spatula as this wax is relatively soft and easy to work with.
When working with IGI 6046 we recommend using the following guidelines for best results.
- Wicks: The recommended wicks are the CD series. See the Wick Guide for a starting point.
- Fragrance: Suggested usage is 6-10%. Be sure to not use more than 10% fragrance as it can cause safety issues.
- Color: If you are using a dye you can add the color to the wax when you add the fragrance at 185°F.
- Heat the wax to 185°F to add your fragrance.
- Remove from heat and stir gently for 2 minutes.
- Allow the wax to cool to 175°F and then pour into your containers.
- Allow the candles to cool completely and then trim the wicks.
- Place lids on the candles (if you are using them) and allow the candles to cure for 3-5 days before burning them in order to achieve the strongest hot throw.
You can conduct wick testing within 24 hours of making the candles, but be sure to allow the candles to cure for at least 3 days before evaluating the hot throw.
For more detailed information on working with this wax check out our Lab Notes!